Well it’s officially getting to my favorite time of the year. Gift season. I don’t care what holiday you celebrate, but I guarantee you’ll find yourself shopping for gifts for someone in the next month or so. Inevitably you’ll be finding yourself wondering “what on earth should I get them”?
I grew up in a family full of people that would never specifically ask for things. It drove me nuts because they would always say things like:
- “Oh, I don’t want anything”
- “Just get me whatever”
- “I can’t think of anything I need right now”
So. Damn. Infuriating.
I’m sure that I’m not the only one who’s had this problem, so I’ve put together a list of some pretty simple gifts that are very useful. This blog is dedicated to all the people out there with those “surprise me” type gift askers in their life this holiday season.
- A digital meat thermometer
- A Leatherman (wave or wingman). So versatile and so handy.
3. A good 8 inch Chef’s Knife.
4. Google Chromecast/ Apple TV/ Roku (if they don’t have one)
5. A nice Scotch/Brandy/Whisky with Glasses and don’t sleep on those ice molds for stocking stuffers.
6. Sports / Concert Tickets to their favorite event.
7. A backup external hard drive. It amazes me how many people don’t have one.
The goal is to not overthink it. My philosophy is that the best gifts are the ones that are useful, and anything that will last a long time. I got a digital food thermometer a few years back and I’ve used it 100’s of times. I didn’t ask for it and didn’t even know i needed it but that thing has been a crucial element of my Grill Game ever since. I honestly don’t know how I cooked without one for so long.
A good Chef’s knife is also a sneaky really nice thing to have. Most of my friends have shitty ones that are dull or just generally terrible. All you really need is one good knife, and it will make cooking much easier.
The backup hard drive isn’t the sexiest gift you receive, but when the shit hits the fan with your computer you’ll be glad you have it. I’ve literally gone through 3.5 computers in the last decade, and I would have lost 1000’s of songs, movies, photos, books, and documents without one of these bad boys. Don’t wait until you get that blue screen of death, because then it will be too late.
Hope that makes those shopping jobs a little easier for ya.
Follow my twitter @SalsaStoolie